Sunday, February 22, 2009

First week - DONE!!!

Well, I have officially finished my first week teaching here in Manuel Antonio and it was very interesting for lack of a better word. On Monday, I arrived at the school at 6:30 (school starts at 7) and was the first one there. We actually did not even have any students the first day because the schedules had not been made yet. My director said that on Tuesday we would be going to different classrooms to observe teachers and get to know the kids before we actually started teaching. So on Tuesday I arrive (later this time...) and my director comes into my classroom at 6:58 and hands me my TEACHING schedule for the day. I started at 7 in a different classroom. So I hurried and grabbed my things and ran down to the 4th grade classroom to teach. From there, I taught 6th and then 2nd. By the end of Tueday, I was a little stressed from feeling rushed all day and extremely relieved that I had made it through!

On Wednesday, Rocio (my host mom) and Rebecca (host sister) left the house before I did. When I went to leave, I noticed they had taken the key (which you need to get out of the house). So, I was locked in...and I had to be at school to teach. At first I stressed, and then I just sat on the couch and laughed. I called Michelle to let her know the situation and she said she would convey the message. Rocio came home at about 7:30 and off to school I went. The director ended up not even being there that day and no one really said a word to me about it. Still was not the way I had intended to make a first impression.

The rest of the week was a mixture of good and challenging. The students, teachers and school are done differently here in Costa Rica. Everything is much more laid back and school holds a different amount of importance here. I have had 6th grade boys pinch my sides, tell me they love me and think I am beautiful and ask for my phone number. I have had second graders walking on desks and throwing things across the classroom at other kids continuously despite my efforts to stop the behavior. I have also had a classroom of fourth graders completely engaged in an English word game. I am learning to become more flexible in my expectations, laugh off the little things and think of new ways to engage and discipline students. It is definitely taking up a lot of my energy and creativity! Fellow teachers and friends - if you have any ideas, please post them!

On a different note, I have joined the local women's soccer team. I was running by the plaza one afternoon and noticed they were playing. I went down, told the coach I liked soccer and that was that. We have practice twice a week. I play with some of my sixth grade girls, some of my student's moms and even another gringa! It is a nice way to break up the week and my daily workout routine.

I am thinking of all of you and love to hear stories about what is going on at home so please post them! Even if it is something trivial, I am craving stories about people I know and know well! I love you all!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKEY!!!!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely sounds crazy...4th, 6th, and 2nd grades all in one day! I don't think that is "Safe Environment" for kids to be hitting on you either! I don't have any crazy stories, Arizona State beat UofA today in basketball for 4 in a row! That was pretty exciting (they almost blew it though).
    The Penasco trip went well, I will be super busy next month, I have 35 houses scheduled (Jonathan has 16....how fair is that!?!). Things are going well so far out here, I am happy to be busy for a change.
    Well I'm glad that your first week went ok, you just need to make some cultural adjustments but you'll be fine. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Lulu,

    As Nick pointed out ASU BEAT UofA, AGAIN. Your mom and I were watching the Oscars. Right after we hear Slumdog win best picture, Scooter texted Mom and told her the game was tied. I turned in on and ASU was up by 2 with 5.6 left and Derrick Glasser on the free throw line. He missed the front end of a one & one. The Kitties got the rebound but James Harden stole the ball at mid-court.

    Slumdog won 8 or 9 Oscars. Sean Penn won best Actor and Kate Wislett won best Actress. Heath Ledger won best supporting actor. His mom, dad and sister accepted for him. Penelope Cruz won supporting actress.

    I think it is great that you are playing soccer. That should keep you in shape, with the addition of walking to the beach every day.

    Im better get back to work. As I was entering church this morning, there was a poster of Fr. O'Grady on the door. I guess he is doing some sort of mission at St. John Vianney tomorrow to kick off the lenten season. Have you found a place to go to church? I really enjoy morning Mass at St. John's.

    I love and miss you,
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz...you should really see Slumdog...if you haven't a chance before we come down, we will bring a copy 'cause it should be out by then :) Um, I had to explain T&A today to my sophomores (titties and ass, BTW) 'cause it was in a reading passage...pretty awesome!!! Say a little prayer for all the AIMS takers tomorrow :)

    Oh and I woke up an hour late this morning...boo! Not a good way to start the week.

    Also, I am back to the self-tanner...I wish I could walk to the beach...it is not so pretty.

    I looooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are there with those hooligans. I might have a different reaction in dealing with the kids running on desks and such and it wouldn't be laughing :) Glad to hear you are still working out, so am I but I ate wayyyy too much at Bobby Q'S for Mardi Gras. Wish we could've gona half-zies on that ribeye I ate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about scattagories? I played it with my students...the category was reasons why you are late for school...the letter was D. One of my AIMS kids said "dumping sand." Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bobo,

    Devils play Washington in about ten minutes. Winner is in 1st place of the Pac 10. Start rooting from down there and let them know a Sun Devil is in the house! You need to get all those kids down there to know the "fork'em" sign.

    love and miss you.

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Friday :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    &

    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We lost by 3 in overtime. So sad.

    ReplyDelete