Friday, March 13, 2009

I have an address!!!

FYI - I wrote this blog post about a weel ago but have not been able to post it because the internet went down in the middle of writing! It took a few days for the internet to start working again, so...

Hello to you all! Well, today officially marks the end of my fourth week of teaching here in Costa Rica. It feels weird to already be done with a month of teaching. I have learned a lot about the culture and about myself in those past four weeks. There have definitely been a few times when I thought there was no way I was going to make it through my 80 minute class and there were also a few times when I thought my class could go forever (although these times happened significantly less often). Either way, I am glad that I now have a month of experience and am looking forward to the future.



As you all know, I asked for help in my previous post. I need "cool" school items for my disciplinary plan in my sixth grade class. At the time, I was unsure as to whether I could receive mail at my house or not. I received a package from my mom on Wednesday (about two weeks after she sent it). So, here is the information you will need when sending me things:



Address: Rocio Porras Selva

c/o Lizzie Manos, maestra de ingles

100 metros norte del super papi

25 metros oeste de las cabinas Guarias

Manuel Antonio, Quepos

Costa Rica

- you will need to send things in a manila envelope - if you send a box, I won't get it!

- On the front of the envelope you need to write "materiales de escuelas" - this helps in that the post office is less likely to open the package and go through it.

- It will probably cost you around $25 to send the package. I know this is a lot especially since you already bought school supplies. If you do not want to pay the shipping fee, my mom and dad are coming to visit the week after Easter. If you could get the supplies to her (or to Jen Pitera and she can give them to her) within the next couple of weeks, she will bring them down to me when she visits.

- If you do send a package, please include your e-mail address because I would like to let you know when I receive it!



Thank you again for all of your help!



On another note, these past couple days we have had a lot of earthquakes. Most of the time they only last for a couple of seconds. The other day we had quite a few of them. The first was while we were school and then there was a series of them while I was laying on the beach. It was definitely an odd sensation to be laying on the sand and feel the earth shift beneath me. Although they are nothing like the earthquake I was greeted with upon my arrival here in Costa Rica, they are still kind of shocking when they happen.



I know a couple of you guys have mentioned wanting to see pictures. I have taken quite a few pictures but failed to remember to pack my cord that connects my camera to the computer so I can not upload any pictures! I am so sorry! I will have my mom and dad bring my cord down to me when they come. You will have to wait until the week after Easter for pictures! Sorry!

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to feel the earth move under my feet.

    Go Devils!

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Final Score: Arizona State 66, Temple 57

    Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Derek Glasser scored a career-high 22 points, as Arizona State overcame a valiant effort by Dionte Christmas to shoot down the Temple Owls, 66-57, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at American Airlines Arena.

    Jeff Pendergraph also had 22 points to go along with seven rebounds for the Sun Devils (25-9), who are seeded sixth in the South Region and will be face third seed Syracuse in the second round on Sunday. The Pac-10 Player of the Year, James Harden was held to just one field goal, finishing with nine points and seven boards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remeber how I was losing weight when you last saw me at your going away night at Rosie's? Well I am down to a 31 inch waist, all thanks to going half-zies. Watch out for those quakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spring break and am so sad it is over :(

    Earthquakes everyday...YIKES! Do you guys have drills at school? We had a lockdown drill 2 weeks ago...had to cover the windows, turn off the lights and hide all the kids by the board...kinda scary actually...what a wonderful world.

    Hope this week goes well. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another funny story....we had just gotten to the library and this kid (not the brightest crayon) starts walking around, then I see him raise his hand, while walking. So I go up to him and he looks at me with the most dazed look...I say, Joseph, what? He say, "Oh, um, where are all the books?" We are in the library. Enough said. I am stumped. I have no answer.

    ReplyDelete